Libriq - Writing app
Project: Web app for writing and sharing memories
Goal: Create a web based writing tool for young as well as elderly people to share their life stories with each other. The service provides users with a way to write, share and print their memories.
My role: UX/UI design, print
Team: 1 UX designer, 2 Product Managers, 1 illustrator, 1 developer
#1 - Measuring
The Libriq team wanted to create a service that would provide a better, simpler way for people to share memories, online and in print. In a world like today where families are split between a multitude of countries, how might we create a product that could help families stay in touch and share memories?
The team itself was split between the Czech Republic and Germany and we met online to discuss the ideas and product roadmap. Initially they wanted a designer to quickly put together a sitemap for the product. After a few meetings and a few affinity map activities, we defined the services we wanted to build:
An online writing and editing tool
A service for sharing the created albums and for communicating
A service for printing and delivering the albums
A product brand identity and presentation website
After we assessed the product sitemap that you can see below we split the aspects of the work in 3, according to priority:
The online writing app
The print designs
The brand identity and presentation website
#2 - Iterations
Because the product was larger than initially was thought, and since I love cooking so much I suggested we start with a cupcake MVP (if you are not familiar with the concept you can read about it here). In a nutshell, the idea was to iterate and get feedback quickly, from as many angles as possible: instead of starting with a solid cake base, we decided to go have a smaller base, some filling and even icing to delight users.
We started off with the presentation website so we could find the differentiating values that will help us stand out from the crowd:
It had to be effortless
It should inspire stories
Give the assurance of permanency
We created a clean, breathable website with a video illustrated by Jan Kottman that shows how the product works and feels. The sign up process was fast, no need to add your payment details at the beginning.
The writing app displayed sections within chapters within stories. There was a writer facing side of the app and a viewer facing side for the people that would receive the story. They could then comment and show emotion about some aspect of the story or start a conversation.
The writing app would look like a clean paper with all the tools you need in sight, just like a desk might look like. Every blank new chapter would start with an inspiring quote and a few paragraphs so that the writer feels inspired.
After a few rounds of tests conducted over conference calls with users in our target market in Germany we simplified the actions in the writing app interface. Users wanted a way to add different media formats so we devoted more of our efforts into making that possible.
We A/B tested the interface color palette and the winning one was applied. Users said it reminds them of dark book covers, the sort used for binding old manuscripts and that was the feeling they meant to transfer and share with their children and grandchildren - a piece of history.
#3 - Print designs
Working on the print styles was extremely rewarding. The challenge was to come up with a few writing blocks that would offer enough creativity and freedom for the writers and creators of these albums and that could be printed in a few formats. The blocks also had to be responsive and buildable.
We wanted to offer users the possibility to add:
Videos (for the online version that on print would transform into a QR code)
I came up with a few styles and created all the combinations possible to bulletproof the design. It was tedious work but extremely enjoyable for a slightly OCD person like me.
#5 - Brand revamping
We were using the Libriq old brand version when I decided to explore a few more options of how might the brand tone and experience feel like. The explorations included an abstract pen turned heart, a double-sided pencil and a box suggesting memory boxes and how the final product would be shipped.
This project is still being developed. Get back in a few weeks for updates.